Tuesday, February 20, 2024

My Top 10 favorite comfort foods

 















#10 Shepherd's pie


Shepherd's pie is an interesting comfort food for me because I grew up eating chicken pot pie, turkey pot pie, and beef pot pie.  It wasn't until 2007 when I went to Tulsa, OK when I tried Shepherd's pie. It was very delicious and not too salty like the banquet pot pies were. Shepherd's pie was also the first homemade food pie that I consider now a comfort food.






#9 Spinach Quiche

Spinach Quiche is a veggie pie that I can't say when it became a comfort food to me. It was delicious from the moment I had this food!



#8 Irish corned beef & cabbage

A popular food among Irish culture. I enjoy corned beef & cabbage both American and Irish style. I haven't attended any Irish parades to be able to have authentic food like this, but I love it just the same when it is homemade even from a grocery store.



#7 Traditional Shish Kebob

I've had this arguably I consider comfort food on many occasions. I can't count how many times that I was invited to the different parties that offered this kind of food. I believe I had the Polish and possibly Turkish versions as well the traditional Shish Kebob. All in all, it was delicious!  



#6 Chili with Cornbread


This comfort food goes all the way back from the mid 80's for me. In Avon, CT, we used to have a restaurant called The Pie Plate. They had all kinds of pies but inside this restaurant they had a menu for food for lunch and dinner.  I used to order a big bowl of chili with cornbread. That was my favorite food to order at The Pie Plate. The restaurant has been closed for 27 years now and been a gas station ever since. This comfort food brings back so many memories.





#5 Philly Cheese Steak


I've had many versions of this hoagie sandwich, but it wasn't until my mom went on her very first cruise when she changed in Philadelphia coming from Ocho Rios, JA back in 2000. It was about 6:30 AM and none of the restaurants were open at the time except one. When my mom got around that pretty big airport, she found that one restaurant that was opening in about 10 minutes. My mom waited until the restaurant opened. My mom knew how much I loved Philly Cheese Steaks and that was why she went out of her way to purchase one for me. My mom was gone away for 13 days. Every chance that I get; I try to purchase a Philly Cheese Steak whenever I'm changing in Philly on any flights that have a long layover.



#4 Spaghetti & Cheese Sauce

This kind of comfort food is rarely made. However, I do recall a woman who went to Full Gospel Interdenominational church in Downtown Manchester, who lived further out Downtown Manchester. She baby-sat me and Courtney. I was seven, Courtney was eleven, and her son was five back in 1985. The woman's name was sister Dottie, and she was Italian, and I enjoyed sister Dottie's food so much that I had a helping of thirds of sister Dottie's Spaghetti and Cheese Sauce. I've eaten traditional Spaghetti and meatballs with the regular Spaghetti sauce, but there is none like this one with the meatless Spaghetti and Cheese Sauce.




#3 Jamaican Food

My late father was born in Clarendon, JA. I grew up eating Jamaican food all of my life. Beef patty & coco bread and curried goat and rice & peas are some of the popular Jamaican foods. Every easter is a Jamaican tradition to have bun and cheese and it's a popular Jamaican dessert, too. Jamaicans love to cook food from their culture. We have Scott's Jamaican Bakery in I do believe 4 Hartford locations and a Golden Krust Jamaican restaurant in Hartford. We also have a Pepper's Jamaican Bakery in East Hartford and Bloomfield. If you are a fan of Jamaican food or have a taste for Jamaican food, you can request Jamaican food to be cooked in a restaurant near you. Jamaican restaurants are starting to be more popular in Georgia and I do believe that Florida might be too but I'm not 100% sure about FL.  




#2 Pepperoni Pizza

This popular comfort food has been ordered to people's homes since before I was born. Pepperoni Pizza is my favorite Pizza. I remember when a large Pizza was $3.99 when the Hartford Courant had coupons for Pizza Hut or Dominoes because those Pizza chains were popular. Now Pizza chains like Little Caesars and Papa's John's has become more popular because it gives Pizza lovers more Pizza restaurant lovers a chance to try other Pizza chains. Stuffed crust Pizza was first introduced back 1995 for Pizza Hut in a commercial. Now these same Pizza chains is being challenged by grocery store Pizzas such as the following: Tombstone, Ellio's Pizza, Newman's Pizza, Tony's Pizza, Stouffer's Pizza, DiGiorno, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl0JftLm5sw



#1 Southern Food 

This very popular comfort food is practically all-over up North and all of down South. Southern restaurants are opening everywhere in the 50 states. So many people in the 50 states have family and in-laws who were born down south and who lived down south that make such good grub like my favorite Mac & Cheese, collard greens, BBQ ribs, and BBQ chicken. That southern hospitality is the big reason why a lot of people love the south and why a lot of people want to move south. The popular desserts varies down south simply because, there are so many recipes to make different desserts ranging from cookies, brownies, cakes, pies, etc., and a lot of different desserts go good with some of the ice cream flavors. And also, a lot of the aforementioned desserts you make them with the same flavors that ice cream is made of.


Those are my Top 10 favorite comfort foods listed above. Some foods I grew up eating from birth. Some foods that became my comfort foods I ate at parties. Whether we have the same list of comfort foods or different list of comfort foods, we can all learn from those that have different comfort foods on their Top 10 list. If you agree with my list, you can comment and let me know. If you disagree at my Top 10 list, you can respectfully tell me comfort foods that I've missed. All I ask is that you be respectful.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Cheapest Grocery Stores

  Rachel have an interesting 🤔 list of the Top 10 grocery stores at low prices. I've heard of some and been to some of the grocery stor...